The Sommelier of the Year Award recognizes working sommeliers who consistently demonstrate an outstanding passion for marrying wine with food and a dedication to exceptional service. The 2016 winner received a trip for two to Italy, courtesy of the Vancouver International Wine Festival, Delta Air Lines and Trialto Wine Group Ltd.
2017 Sommelier of the Year
Shane Taylor, CinCin Ristorante + Bar
This year’s winner, Shane Taylor, wine director at CinCin Ristorante + Bar, was selected through a hands-on competition organized by the BC Chapter of the Canadian Association of Professional Sommeliers. Shane will represent British Columbia in the “Best Sommelier in Canada” competition. As Sommelier of the Year, Shane receives two Delta Air Lines vouchers valued at $2,000 USD from the festival.
A native of PEI, Shane is a graduate of the Atlantic Tourism and Hospitality Institute, holds the WSET Diploma in Wine and Spirits, and recently qualified as Advanced Sommelier from the London-based Court of Master Sommeliers. He worked at the Relais Gourmand White Barn Inn in Kennebunkport, Maine, the Michelin-starred Glenapp Castle and Chapter One in the UK, before moving to Canada in 2005 to join Araxi and the Toptable team.
Past winners include:
- Alistair Veen – (Tap Restaurant – 2016)
- Jason Yamasaki – (Chambar – 2015)
- Mike Bernardo – (Vij’s Group – 2014)
- Samantha Rahn – (Araxi Restaurant – 2013)
- Terry Threlfall – (Hawksworth – 2012)
- Owen Knowlton – (West – 2011)
- Kurtis Kolt – (Salt Tasting Room – 2010)
- Andrea Vescovi – (Blue Water Café – 2009)
- Neil Ingram (Boneta – 2008)
- Chris Van Nus (Blue Water Café – 2007)
- Sebastien Le Goff (CinCin Restaurant – 2006)
- Tom Doughty (C Restaurant – 2005)
- Mark Taylor (CRU Restaurant – 2004)
- Barb Philip MW (Fish House and Cannery Restaurants – 2003)
- Peter Bodnar Rod (C Restaurant – 2002)
- Mark Davidson (The Beach House – 2001)
- Brent Hayman (Raincity Grill – 2000)